Close your eyes and when feeling peaceful think about….
- Your age when the event occurred
- Where the event occurred and how that place felt to you
- What you were doing moments before the event began
- Who from your life shared the experience
- The power or influence those present might have had over you at that moment
- The challenge, threat or disrespect it brought to you
- How you handled yourself during the incident
- How you felt as the incident escalated or developed over time
- How you felt after it was over
Begin to write. Take as long as you need. When you’ve exhausted your memories, take a few hours to decompress, then write about….
- Whether the exercise has revised or brought clarity to your memories, thoughts and feelings about the event
- How this revised memory might provide soothing moments for you now
- How you might begin to process the event as you move forward